Iranian General Says US should Prepare for “the Strongest Reaction”
Iranian chief of staff Maj. Gen. Mohammad Hossein Baqeri on Thursday warned the United States of “the strongest reaction” if it threatens Tehran.
“U.S. military activities in Iraq and the Persian Gulf region have increased,” Baqeri told the state-run IRNA news agency. “We keep a close eye on these activities, and our nation’s forces are and will be defending our country’s land, air, and sea borders.”
The comments came hours after US President Donald Trump said they have obtained information indicating that Iran or its proxies were planning to attack the US forces or its assets in Iraq.
“If this happens, Iran will pay a very heavy price, indeed!,” Trump warned.
Baqeri, meanwhile, rejected the accusation and said the recent attacks on US troops were “a natural reaction” by Iraqis who want to stand against Washington’s presence and the killing of Iranian top General Qasem Soleimani and Iraqi militia leader Abu Mahdi al-Mohandis, whom were killed in US airstrike earlier in January near Baghdad airport. Source