Arab league rejects U.S. threats to punish Saudi Arabia over Khashoggi’s disappearance
The Arab League reiterated on Sunday its rejection of the U.S. threats to impose sanctions against Saudi Arabia over the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Turkey earlier this month.
In a statement, the pan-Arab body said that it “totally rejects threats to impose economic sanctions (against Saudi Arabia)” considering such threats a means to achieve “political or bilateral goals.”
Speaking about the disappearance of Khashoggi, the Arab League commented that “Saudi Arabia has clearly announced its readiness for cooperation in the underway investigations” into the Saudi journalist’s missing.
It further expressed hope that the case of Khashoggi would come to an end soon in order not to endanger regional peace and security.
The Arab League statement came after U.S. Donald Trump threatened Saudi Arabia with “severe punishment” if Khashoggi was killed.
The French, German and UK foreign secretaries also released a joint statement calling on the Saudi government to give a complete and detailed account of Khashoggi’s disappearance.
Saudi Arabia, for its part, vowed to retaliate against any sanctions to be imposed over the disappearance of Khashoggi in Istanbul earlier this month.
“The kingdom affirms its total rejection of any threats and attempts to undermine it, whether through economic sanctions, political pressure or repeating false accusations,” Riyadh said.
“The kingdom also affirms that if it is [targeted by] any action, it will respond with greater action.” The statement also pointed out that the oil-rich kingdom “plays an effective and vital role in the world economy”.