Coronavirus: Iran to resume ‘low-risk’ economic activity despite continuing deaths
Iran’s economy will cautiously begin operating again, President Hassan Rouhani said on Sunday, despite continuing to struggle with the worst coronavirus outbreak in the Middle East.
Rouhani announced on television that “low-risk” activities will begin on Saturday in most areas of the country and follow in the capital Tehran a week later.
The president did not spell out what he meant by such activities, but said the suspension of “high-risk activities” – schools, universities and various social, cultural, sports and religious events – would be extended to 18 April.
More than 3,600 people have been killed by the virus, and there are concerns about how long the country can operate with an economy already damaged by US-imposed sanctions.
Coronavirus: How Iran could become guinea pig for herd immunity strategy
Iran has so far refused to impose a full lockdown within cities, though it has encouraged people to stay at home.
“Two-thirds of all Iranian government employees will work out of the office from Saturday… The decision does not contradict stay-at-home advice by the health authorities,” said Rouhani.
He also extended a ban on intercity travel, imposed after health ministry officials complained that many Iranians were ignoring appeals to stay at home and cancel travel plans for the Iranian New Year holidays that began on 20 March.
Health authorities have since warned of a new wave of coronavirus infections in the Islamic Republic.
The health ministry said on Sunday the death toll from Covid-19 had reached 3,603 among a total of 58,226 infected people. The daily death toll has been rising by at least 100.
The United States recently imposed a new set of sanctions against Iran, despite pleas from key members of Congress and world powers that Washington ease its stance, as Iran struggles to cope with the rapidly spreading virus. Source