Iran warns Saudi Arabia over possible ground action in Syria
The head of Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guard said on Saturday Saudi Arabia lacked the courage to go through with a plan to send ground troops to Syria, and warned they would be wiped out if they went in.
Mohammad Ali Jafari’s blunt words on the Fars news agency were Iran’s first official reaction to a statement from its regional rival Saudi Arabia this week that it was ready to join ground operations in Syria if a US-led military alliance decided to start them.
“(The Saudis) have made such a claim but I don’t think they are brave enough to do so … Even if they send troops, they would be definitely defeated … it would be suicide,” Jafari was quoted as saying.
Riyadh on Thursday left open the possibility of deploying soldiers, saying it would “contribute positively” if the US-led coalition against the Islamic State (ISIS) jihadist group in Syria decides on ground action.
The fate of Saudi-backed Syrian armed opposition groups fighting to topple President Bashar al-Assad is also a major concern for the kingdom.
“I think Saudi Arabia is desperate to do something in Syria,” said Andreas Krieg, of the Department of Defence Studies at King’s College London.
Krieg said the “moderate” opposition is in danger of being routed if Aleppo falls to the regime, whose forces have closed in on Syria’s second city, backed by intense Russian air strikes.
Russia, which along with Saudi Arabia’s regional rival Iran is a major ally of Assad, meanwhile has accused Turkey of “preparations for an armed invasion” of Syria.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan called the claims “laughable”.
But Krieg said Erdogan’s policy in Syria has achieved nothing so far.
“Turkey and Saudi need to turn this war around. So any Saudi engagement would be in cooperation with Doha and Ankara,” he added.
The Saudi-backed opposition umbrella group, the High Negotiations Committee, says it will not return to peace talks which recently collapsed in Geneva unless its humanitarian demands are met.
“The Saudis believe that the chance of a peaceful solution for the Syrian crisis is very limited,” said Mustafa Alani, of the independent Gulf Research Centre.
“They don’t see that there is a real pressure on the regime to give major concessions… They think eventually it will have to end in the battlefield,” Alani said.
“Turkey is enthusiastic about this option (of sending ground troops) since the Russians started their air operation and tried to push Turkey outside the equation,” he added.
But he and other analysts said Saudi involvement would be limited, given its leadership of a separate Arab coalition fighting in Yemen for almost a year and guarding the kingdom’s southern border from attacks by Iran-backed Yemeni rebels.
“They are overstretched. But in principle I think they will not hesitate to send a certain number of their fighters to fight in Syria,” Alani said, adding that this would probably include Saudi special forces.
Turkey and Saudi already belong to a US-led coalition which officially has 65 members. It has been bombing IS targets in Syria and Iraq, as well as training local forces to fight the extremists.
Krieg said that with Saudi and other Gulf kingdoms “bogged down” in Yemen, he could only foresee a possible expansion of “train and equip” missions involving Gulf Special Forces to help rebels in Syria.
On Friday, US Central Command spokesman Pat Ryder welcomed Saudi Arabia’s willingness to send soldiers against ISIS.
The United States has been calling on coalition members to do more.
In November, the United Arab Emirates said it was also ready to commit ground troops against jihadists in Syria.
Jane Kinninmont, senior research fellow at London’s Chatham House, said Saudi Arabia is more interested in the war in Yemen than the struggle against ISIS.
She declared herself “a bit sceptical” about potential Turkish army involvement in Syria, “but we might see them having some kind of interest in containing Kurdish influence”.